[FRIAM] tools, trollers, and language

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jun 12 14:05:24 EDT 2017

Nick -

To try to offer my own understanding of Glen's position/assertion... I
(like you) believe that his mere *invocation* of an onion in this
context had a metaphorical quality to it, but his *emphasis* was in
investigating the natural delimiters (?EricS term?) of a specific
example of an object which might be analyzed in terms of "layer" or
"level" where he claimed (and asked us to acknowledge?) that there is a
distinct difference and the former is much more apt than the latter.
Of course, I could be wrong (again) and Glen may well make that point if
it is important!

Your analysis of metaphor more in figurative, romantic speech/poesy
(Love/Rose) is good and parallels what Glen was maundering most recently
(again, GEPR correct me if I misapprehended!) regarding the
responsibility of the speaker and the listener.  As a poet and lover of
poetry and poems and poesy and ring around the rosy myself,  I think it
is good and important that in those modes, that there be multiple
entendres galore (and what is the French for multiple apprehensions to
complement entendres?).   The good and juicy stuff lies in the various
(mis)interpretations of the original intent, up to and including
subconscious intents not acknowledged by the figurative writer.

I think there is a significant difference between figurative speech
inside and outside of scientific thought.   Perhaps there could/should
be a more rigorous boundary put between the two... the former being more
what is colloquially thought of as metaphor and the latter being more
what is thought of as "formal analogy".

I based most of my career on helping literal thinkers access their
intuitions through the use of complex metaphors.  I think that was
important.   I also saw metaphors used very effectively for
communicating complex scientific ideas to a lay audience.

Glen is unfortunately accurate (in my experience) that it is also easy
to use metaphor to obscure and/or muddle discussions.   I think there
was some of that afoot with our attempts to get at "what is complexity"
(the root of this branching labyrinth of topics?) but I also believe
that Glen (and many others in this group) may be a bit allergic to the
abuses of metaphorical language.

You can beat a dead metaphor, but you can't lead it to water.

- Steve