[FRIAM] the role of metaphor in scientific thought

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Jun 23 15:25:18 EDT 2017

Glen writes:

"How about, instead of interpretations, we think of applications, e.g. commonalities between domain-specific languages?"

I'd make a distinction between embedded DSLs (built on general-purpose programming languages) and DSLs which are not.   I don't want to get stuck thinking about only those things where the language is established and works well.   I want to be able to step away from it and change it when it doesn't work.   If language L' does something useful L doesn't, then I want to use its utility to drag the community along to my way of thinking.  DSLs lead to rule by committee and stagnation.

Marcus