[FRIAM] Fractals/Chaos/Manifolds

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Mar 1 16:57:55 EST 2017

Lee -

Great bit of detective work there...

"Mannigfaltigkeit"

    manig -> many

    faltig -> wrinkle or fold

    kelt ->  having the utility of or "ness"

    many folded ness

I'd like to hear more about your own intuitive conception of 3-manifolds...

I have been a "mathematical thinker" in an intuitive sense from my
earliest memories, so I tend to bias my expectations of other's
intuitions with that in mind.   What 3 manifolds do you find "easy" to
conceptualize and when does it become "hard" in your mind?  Do you find
that non-mathematical people find 3 manifolds obvious/easy?  Do you have
conceptions of "exotic" 3-manifolds that you can put a compelling
description to for non-mathematical thinkers?

My earliest introduction to 3-manifolds formally came from my
(relatively non-mathematical) father asking me to consider whether the
universe was infinite or finite, and if finite, did it end (like a
flat/disk-earth would) or did it "wrap back on itself" (like a
sphere).   I don't think he offered either a sphere or a torus as an
example, but I do think they both came to me roughly at the same time...

Reimannian 3-manifolds are within reach for me, but I don't know how to
"give" them to non-mathematical thinkers.

With our current administration being a "ship of fools" in many ways, I
expect Trump to whip out the old idea of "legislating Pi to be rounded
off to (redefined as?) 3"  which we all love to find ridiculous... but
we could instead imagine that he is imagining that such legislation
could curve space appropriately to make it literally true?

- Steve