[FRIAM] Fractals/Chaos/Manifolds

Robert J. Cordingley robert at cirrillian.com
Wed Mar 1 20:14:59 EST 2017

In one German dictionary I found /mannigfaltigkeit/ translates to
/variousness/ which seems pretty obtuse but indicates it may have less
to do with the original entymology of /manifold/
(https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/manifold Entymology 1). Per Dean's pdf,
perhaps it's a made up usage inspired by Gauss/Riemann who had a concept
about topological space but needed a word for it? That is to say
'manifold' (in English) was a neologism in its time based on an
appearance of the German word?

Robert C

Cirrillian
Web Design & Development