[FRIAM] Fractal discussion Landscape-bird songs

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 19:32:44 EST 2017

Yes, zero dimensional things like your string can have fractal dimension > 0.  I got a bit googly in trying to find an off the shelf library that would do this with little work.  Although I had no luck, I did find this:

  The Fractal Patterns of Words in a Text: A Method for Automatic Keyword Extraction
  http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0130617#sec005

As to your string, particularly, I don't know.  But here's what a completely ignorant call to fd.estimate tells me:

variogram  madogram  rodogram  variation     incr1  hallwood  boxcount
 1.488012  1.276855         2   1.276855  1.475277  1.299939  1.169925

arrived at via R:

> require(fractaldim)
> dat <- "ABABABABcdcdcdcdABABABABcdcdcdcdABABABABcdcdcdcdABABABABcdcdcdcd"
> dat2 <- as.numeric(utf8ToInt(dat))
> out <- fd.estimate(dat2,methods=list("variogram","madogram","rodogram","variation","incr1","hallwood","boxcount"))

I have no idea what, if anything, any of those numbers mean. 8^) Garbage => garbage.

--
☣ glen