[FRIAM] A million tech jobs unfilled

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Mar 4 18:25:30 EST 2017

Stephen and I share a bad joke that "we are unemployable", and that
includes to one another.  There are few tasks in my projects which I
could delegate that Stephen's skill set and style would be suitable
for.   And vice-versa.  We CAN support one anothers' work in many ways,
from intellectual/technological synergy/brainstorming to headhunting and
mentoring of junior staff.   But neither of us is likely to *pay* for
that kind of help.  Fortunately we are able to work mostly on an
unspoken barter relation.

That said, my Odometer just turned over 60(,000,000?) and feel my
version of "age discrimination".  But it is deeper than
"discrimination", I literally *can't do* the things I did 10 or 20 or
especially 30 years ago.  For the most part, I "know too much", I have
too MUCH breadth and my flexibility is more of a liability than an
asset, except when I LACK flexibility in a key domain and THAT is the
liability.  I have a dozen programming languages and several paradigms
in my quiver, but for a given project I either need "yet another" or
need to hone one of those much finer than I am likely to.    For
virtually every skill I am "pretty good with" there are scores of
under-50's with "very good" skills.   I'm rarely the best one to do
*anything* I need doing.  I only do them myself to avoid the overhead of
hiring it out!

Fortunately, with my children full adults, my house almost paid for or
maybe "too big anyway" and limited appetite for high speed, frequent
world travel (gimme a slow boat, a laptop, a technical project and an
epic poem to write anytime), or expensive toys, I don't need the kind of
income I *thought* I did 20 years ago.   I can piece it together.  I
suspect MOST of FriamOver60 is in their own version of this boat, either
truly comfortably retired, or ready for a lot of creative slacking.   I
may make a business card for myself with that title: "Creative Slacker".

My children and nieces/nephew are smack in their early/middle career and
are all watching their peers suffer, and try to suffer themselves from
this "recession" but I remind them  "YOU only need ONE job"  one of them
is a self-actualizd entreprenuer.  I would wish that on all of them.
NOT a JOB.  Oh well.

<down off soapbox>