[FRIAM] A million tech jobs unfilled

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 17:59:10 EST 2017

Agreed.

For many of us on (in?) Friam age discrimination is another issue.  I have
received emails from recruiters and even principals that say that they've
seen my profile on LinkedIn and that I am a perfect match for a position
they have.  They ask for my full resume (I have a CV) and, more often than
not I don't hear back.  I have dates on the CV because I don't want to work
where I'm not wanted.  In fact, lately when I get such a contact my reply
begins, "First of all, you should know that I'm 73...". This avoids wasting
time.  I have talked to a number of recruiters about these issues. Most
agree that the problem is not that they don't think I'll be there long
since neither will the 28 year-olds.  There is also a cultural problem. A
few years ago I got a contract position in Albuquerque (remunerative) and I
worked with several millennial or genXY software engineers. I got along
well with them in general but one of the young women was constantly saying,
"What the f*** is this s***?". That didn't really bother me but it seemed
odd.  Actually, I'm somewhat ambivalent about this since, as my wife says,
"Frank, if you get a job, you'll have to work.". I don't mind work but
commuting etc...

In the meantime, Hywel and are are enjoying learning de Rahm cohomology,
etc with applications to gauge fields, gravity, etc.

Frank

Frank Wimberly
Phone (505) 670-9918