[FRIAM] !RE: A million tech jobs unfilled

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 13:44:29 EST 2017

Yes, it's wrong, in _general_.  Perhaps someone's already mentioned it.  But the truth is that "it's not what you know, but who you know".  That's always been the case.  E.g. I knew a very technical engineering-oriented (white male), with a physics degree, working for me in a programming position.  After I left the company (because it was dying), he was laid off.  He couldn't find another gig there in the valley.  So he got his "project management certificate" and restarted the job hunt, thinking it would round off his tech with some mgmt.  It failed.  So he moved back home to the midwest, where he continued his search ... to no avail.  He acquired more certifcates, again uselessly.  He finally landed a part-time teaching job at a community college.  He's since expanded that into a kinda-sorta full-time teaching career (at that college and elsewhere).

His flaw, as I tried to describe before he got laid off, was that he didn't schmooze enough with the valley gurus-in-power.  He (like me) disliked those people so much that it made such schmoozing painful.  The difference is that he thought what he knows matters as much or more than who he knows.

Given that yesterday was women's day, this article is relevant:

https://theestablishment.co/being-a-nerd-is-different-now-that-im-a-girl-5f9231389b09#.xgahtqy3t

Even if you enjoy schmoozing with a crowd, it can get complicated.  We live in a complex foam of siloization.

--
☣ glen