[FRIAM] !RE: A million tech jobs unfilled

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 13:51:25 EDT 2017

Regarding the larger conversation: It will be interesting to see what
happens if the tech-worker visas stay frozen. I suspect that program has
encouraged the unreasonable pickiness that many companies display. If the
companies really need employees, either there will be employees who meet
the exact skill set the company wants for the price it is offering, or the
company will need to broaden the search (either in terms of skill set or
money offered). At some point, either the company finds people to hire, or
it goes under due to sheer lack of manpower. Even if they do find exactly
what they are looking for, presumably companies filled with only
overly-specialized employees will show other signs of stagnation that are
ultimately detrimental.

In my limited experience, one of the disconnects is that the people
evaluating resumes, and sometimes even the people doing initial interviews,
often have little clue what skills are needed for the job. Some H.R. person
interviews a hiring manager looking for a programmer, and the manager says
"Well, what I'd really like is someone with 5 years of x, 10 years of y,
and project management experience." The H.R. person writes something
vaguely like that in an add, but doesn't know that 6 years of M and 4 years
of N counts as 10 years of y. And it all goes down hill from there. And
that the manager would also have been perfectly happy for people with a
variety of related skill sets doesn't matter for everyone who's resumes got
flushed.

At this point, much of my experience is applying for jobs in the federal
sector, where regulations force the initial rounds of evaluation to be at
arms length from anyone who might know what to look for. It is amazing the
jobs that I have been deemed qualified for and the jobs I have been deemed
unqualified for, during the initial arms-length stages.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps
<echarles at american.edu>