[FRIAM] !RE: A million tech jobs unfilled

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Mar 15 20:14:58 EDT 2017

I'm sure I'm dragging the topic (yet) further astray here...

It seems like the underlying pattern is sort of a dynamic balance in an
abstract system space.

Firstly, I appreciate Glen's acute description of corporations... it IS
worth noting that they always exist within the charter of a government,
though it is curious what it means to be an "international"
corporation.   It seems that many take advantage of the seams between
different governments, and as we know anecdotally, there are entire
nations which exist somewhat significantly for the purpose of providing
a base for these type of wily? corporations?

I'm curious if there is a "taxonomy of organizations" out there
somewhere... and by "organization" I limit that to organizations of
human beings and their artifacts, not herds of animals, groves of trees,
colonies of symbiotic creatures, or ice floes, etc. Where does a church
fit in?  Seems like the Holy Roman Catholic church, while located within
the boundaries of Italy and supported (how?) by the Swiss guard,
represents a fully extra-governmental organization.   Multinational
corporations may also fit that model in some sense?   Multinational
NGOs?  Red Cross, Amnesty International, Doctors without Borders?   What
about street gangs or motorcycle gangs (are they that different?).
Drug Cartels? Large cooperatives?

In the case of he workplace and the concept of an HR department. The
general principle of adding an extra degree of freedom in a system to
make problems more tractable would seem to show one of it's downsides
here.  That extra level of indirection can yield the kinds of problems
we have been citing here... mostly of disconnection between the goals of
the sub-organization (individual, team, project, division, etc.) and the
policies and practices in head hunting, interviewing, hiring.

I do believe that complex human organizations do take  on a bit of a
proto-organism status and do begin to do things like grow and organize
themselves entirely around the principle of self-coherence,
perpetuation, growth, even sometimes propagation.

- Steve