[FRIAM] !RE: A million tech jobs unfilled

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 20:38:23 EDT 2017

I don't think the indirectness causes the debilitation of polymaths, in these organizations.  I think it's the opposite, indirection facilitates polymaths.  But I do agree with the idea that it's a balance (sweet spot) in a reduced space (direct vs indirect).  What the buzzwords do (like mathematics) is allow a purely syntactical rigor, absent the meaning of the symbols.  So, while the polymath might deeply grok the meaning of, say, "Neo4j" as one example in a large space.  The person who cites exactly the symbol "Neo4j" as a thing they know shows a better syntactic match, regardless of whether they know what it means.  It's the ability to _directly_ misappropriate the overly rigorous syntax that causes the problem.  If we disallowed the buzzwords and relied on standard English, the meanings would have to be maintained, be transitive across layers.

Indirectness (many layers between the hiring manager and the candidate) in both syntax and semantics would (I think) heavily favor the polymath.

--
☣ glen