[FRIAM] !RE: A million tech jobs unfilled

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Mar 15 21:34:34 EDT 2017

Glen -

I hope I'm not just being argumentative, but I'm not sure of the value
to of an organization of most polymaths?   I think my (much) earlier
point about *some of us* on this list being "unemployable" has a
positive correlation with being (one type of?) polymath. Many of us are
self-taught (at least in most of our areas of significant ability, if
not actual expertise) because we are painfully curious and possibly
unable to remain focused on a singular task (completing a full course of
education, especially through an advanced degree (6-12 years of
schooling beyond high school?).

Following your own principle (if I understand you correctly) of
diversity, every organization needs a few polymaths, but too many and it
is likely to lose coherence?

Since many here *identify* as polymaths I suspect, yet most seem to want
a "conventional" (e.g. regular work for regular but significant pay with
benefits, sick leave, vacation) job, there seems to be some tension.  We
assert that we are adaptable and clever enough to solve lots of obscure,
abstract and complex problems but can't solve the problems of keeping
steady work coming in (and billing up to date) and keeping healthy (or
arranging for someone else to pay our bills or down time if we fail at
that)?

I think I *was* an asset to LANL for some part of my career, or at least
my next couple of levels of management or my co-workers, or the teams I
lead, but I suspect that as I developed a larger and larger view of the
organization (group, division, laboratory, NNSA, DOE, Big Science, USA,
First World) I became more of a liability.   I probably could/should
have left even earlier... but I can be hard-headed and stubborn (or
stupid) sometimes.

I guess my bottom line is that for the first half of my career at LANL
it would have been like *pulling teeth* to hire someone with my
credentials and toward the second half, I *shouldn't* have hired someone
like me!

Just sayin'

- Steve