[FRIAM] Whew!

George Duncan gtduncan at gmail.com
Wed May 3 12:29:31 EDT 2017

Anyone like to bet that we will now address these issues "rationally" so
that there will be either funding for Pre-K or disincentives for sugary
drinks? I will take the opposite side of that bet.

We now see the power of those corporate interests who will provide the
millions of dollars needed to defeat any tax proposal that might hurt them.
Some how I do not expect them to be funding Pre-K education by any means.
Also any new proposal to tax sugary drinks will prompt their money to be
put into opposition. Further note what our Governor said in response to
yesterday's defeat about the public  mood to increase taxes.

Yes, elitists may well think that Pre-K dominates cheap soda. And, yes,
elitists don't drink Coca-Cola and instead like Perrier water. So District
votes hardly surprising.

Duncan

George Duncan
Emeritus Professor of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
georgeduncanart.com
See posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Land: (505) 983-6895
Mobile: (505) 469-4671

My art theme: Dynamic exposition of the tension between matrix order and
luminous chaos.

"Attempt what is not certain. Certainty may or may not come later. It may
then be a valuable delusion."
>From "Notes to myself on beginning a painting" by Richard Diebenkorn.

"It's that knife-edge of uncertainty where we come alive to our truest
power." Joanna Macy.