[FRIAM] Whew!

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Wed May 3 17:18:37 EDT 2017

You forget George, that the political Mafia that runs Santa Fe city
government not only put together a stupidly doomed proposal, but also
brought in outside money that MATCHED the amount of money brought in by
corporate interests.  Some of you may remember that $250,000 of outside
money also came into the Mayor's race after the City Council had passed
legislation to insure a citizen-funded municipal campaign.  As it turned
out, the Mayor would have won without the extra money that local power
brokers brought in from outside.  Another loss for local democracy and
getting money out of politics.  Cry the Beloved City.  Because we really
really need pre-K.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 10:29 AM, George Duncan <gtduncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone like to bet that we will now address these issues "rationally" so
> that there will be either funding for Pre-K or disincentives for sugary
> drinks? I will take the opposite side of that bet.
>
> We now see the power of those corporate interests who will provide the
> millions of dollars needed to defeat any tax proposal that might hurt them.
> Some how I do not expect them to be funding Pre-K education by any means.
> Also any new proposal to tax sugary drinks will prompt their money to be
> put into opposition. Further note what our Governor said in response to
> yesterday's defeat about the public  mood to increase taxes.
>
> Yes, elitists may well think that Pre-K dominates cheap soda. And, yes,
> elitists don't drink Coca-Cola and instead like Perrier water. So District
> votes hardly surprising.
>
> Duncan
>

> George Duncan
> Emeritus Professor of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
> georgeduncanart.com
> See posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
> Land: (505) 983-6895
> Mobile: (505) 469-4671
>
> My art theme: Dynamic exposition of the tension between matrix order and
> luminous chaos.
>
> "Attempt what is not certain. Certainty may or may not come later. It may
> then be a valuable delusion."
> From "Notes to myself on beginning a painting" by Richard Diebenkorn.
>
> "It's that knife-edge of uncertainty where we come alive to our truest
> power." Joanna Macy.
>

> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Owen Densmore <owen at backspaces.net> wrote:
>
>> Oh, and Elitism? Culturalism?
>>
>> Well the south side districts overwhelmly trounced it: 69% & 73% Even the
>> most liberal districts were 50-50.
>>
>>    -- Owen
>>
>> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Owen Densmore <owen at backspaces.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Voters smack down mayor’s beverage tax proposal
>>>
>>> http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/voters-smac
>>> k-down-mayor-s-beverage-tax-proposal/article_3971faf0-2f9c-
>>> 11e7-8374-532a52cd354f.html
>>>
>>> Now maybe we can focus on health, pre-K, etc rationally rather than
>>> tying them together idiotically.
>>>
>>> Quote:
>>>
>>> Opponents resisted the proposed tax as an unfair overreach by city
>>> leaders and not the best way to fulfill a recognized need for expanding
>>> access to preschool programs.
>>>

>>> Amen!
>>>
>>>    -- Owen!

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy
emergentdiplomacy.org
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

Visiting Professor in Integrative Peacebuilding
Saint Paul University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

merlelefkoff at gmail.com <merlelefoff at gmail.com>
mobile:  (303) 859-5609