[FRIAM] the arc of ai (was Re: Whew!)

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Fri May 5 11:18:30 EDT 2017

Well said, Glen.  At the same time, some of us who are not anarchists (I'm
still on the journey) understand that the actions of many who call
themselves Democrats, or Republicans, or President or Congressmen or
CEOs--just a few seemingly less extreme examples--all exemplify the
"different demagoguery" you mention.  (Thanks for including Trump.)  The
question of responsibility for collective action is a big one.  At some
level I actually do feel a sense of responsibility for the people around
the world who are voting for 21st century fascism.  Our cultural values in
the U.S. have become a source of much destruction and despair.

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 9:03 AM, ┣glen┫ <gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK.  So, the answer is "No".  Those non-violent anarchists are NOT willing
> to take responsibility for the actions of others who call themselves
> "anarchists".  Nor, it seems, are they willing to take responsibility for
> the damage their rhetoric might cause.  So it is with Islam, libertarians,
> Trump, etc.  Same effect, different demagoguery.  We elite sophists can
> preen and pick at the language all day.  But unless it "boils down",
> intact, to the language and actions of the laity, it's just as culpable as
> every other well-paved road to hell.
>
> To be clear, I'm not trying to "shame" anyone.  I just want to be clear
> about the self-contradictory nature of such things.
>

> On 05/05/2017 07:28 AM, Merle Lefkoff wrote:
> > Glen, you have a choice to assume that anarchists, like all political
> > groups, come with a more nuanced spectrum of strategies than outsiders
> are
> > able to discern.  And many that I know understand that in the long run,
> > non-violence is the winning strategy.
> >
> > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 4:37 PM, glen ☣ <gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> So, how do they feel about policing the other self-described
> >> "anarchists"?  I.e. calling out groups like the black bloc as
> "outsiders"
> >> or whatnot?
>
> --
> ␦glen?

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy
emergentdiplomacy.org
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

Visiting Professor in Integrative Peacebuilding
Saint Paul University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

merlelefkoff at gmail.com <merlelefoff at gmail.com>
mobile:  (303) 859-5609