[FRIAM] the arc of ai (was Re: Whew!)

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri May 5 11:31:54 EDT 2017

Glen -

I know what you are saying here is intended to be more pointed, but
doesn't it come down to the simple definition of rhetoric? Persuasive
speech (including writing, posturing, gesturing in public) is intended
to *persuade* and if one is effective in their rhetoric (persuasion),
then they are responsible for the consequences of their persuasion.

I have a strong identification with the ideals of anarchism, as I do
with libertarianism, and to a lesser extent conservative and progressive
ideals.   I am not eager, however, to proseletyze on any of those
subjects overmuch *lest* I persuade someone to act on those ideals,
Action, also by it's very nature, is intrinsically irresponsible.   We
can never know the full consequences of our actions, so we take them
based on a lick and a promise that they won't go totally and
unexpectedly bad.

Talking and acting are a risky business it seems.   But it is the stuff
of being in the world.  I believe it was Rumi who suggested we "be IN
but not OF the world".   Subtle business.

I appreciate your use of the term "elite sophists" here.   It is the
place I retreat to and feel that is what most of the discussion here
(about religion, politics, social, economic theory) is... the use of
sophist(icated) language to try to understand complex and subtle
phenomena but from a somewhat distanced perspective allowed by our
various circumstance.

- Steve