[FRIAM] the arc of ai (was Re: Whew!)

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri May 5 21:27:14 EDT 2017

I was talking to someone about a conference they attended and a technical discussion they had with an individual at the conference.    He said he found the individual interesting -- a distinguished-looking older gentleman.  Eventually he asked him about his affiliation.  He said he was unaffiliated.   The conclusion of this individual was that he was a kook and he stopped the conversation.  Shouldn’t it be possible to identify kooks on the content of what they say and the (lack of) substance of their accomplishments?   That’s not what most academics do, in my experience.   It is often very much about genealogy and affiliation.   The argument from authority is alive and well.

If one thinks like this, then it is only appropriate for them to give more credence to the remarks of someone like Kaczynski.  He was a Berkeley man after all.    That is competed with social pressure in those circles to say that smart people demonstrably capable of violence must have “gone crazy”, “lost it”, and so on.

Marcus