[FRIAM] the arc of ai (was Re: Whew!)

┣glen┫ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon May 8 10:55:12 EDT 2017

Coincidentally, given the topic of [SG]AI and the semantic grounding of rhetorical terms:

The meaning of life in a world without work
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/08/virtual-reality-religion-robots-sapiens-book?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+USA+-+Collections+2017&utm_term=225051&subid=22800997&CMP=GT_US_collection

> What is a religion if not a big virtual reality game played by millions of people together? Religions like Islam and Christianity invent imaginary laws, such as “don’t eat pork”, “repeat the same prayers a set number of times each day”, “don’t have sex with somebody from your own gender”, and so forth. These laws exist only in the human imagination.

I've had several friends suggest they'd like to start their own cult.  I even inducted 2 of them into my Discordian charter.  That wasn't good enough, though, because as Episkopos, I don't care what my priests do.  It also happens that these friends are programmers, even if not professionally.  So, there's more to Harari's analogy than meets the eye, I think.

I've long believed, when managing people, the single critical attribute is "tolerance of ambiguity".  Those of us who get too hung up on definite axiomatic approaches are, I think, at the most risk of losing their jobs to an SAI.  Those of us who tolerate (especially drastic) semantic shifts, on the fly, may survive through any Singularity.

--
␦glen?