[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu May 25 08:23:39 EDT 2017

maybe an interesting (but relevant) question is also "what is interesting?"

It seems that we, as examples of complex, organized,
far-from-equilibrium, systems of dissipative systems entities find other
examples with similar (subsets) of those properties "interesting"...
I'm not sure what a system without those properties would call
interesting (or if it could/would call anything anything).

I think what you are calling "interesting" are systems exhibiting
nonlinear phenomena, self-organization, and aghast! emergence.   I think
therefore that such systems exhibit proto-life-like properties by
definition.   Your exclusion of systems arising from biological
(explicitely alive) systems seems to be trying to niggle at the root of
"what is life"?