[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu May 25 13:36:08 EDT 2017

Maturana and Varela, Robert Rosen, Mark Bedeau, Stuart Kauffman [†] (as well as a huge ecology of others) have written about this to no avail, apparently.  We _insist_ on having our ambiguity and eating it, too.  In the end, it's rhetorical trickery (of which I'm no less culpable than anyone else) to use words like "complexity", "emergence", "interestingness", "agent", etc. in a technical context without making _some_ (any!) attempt to disambiguate.

There are bottom-up rhetorical tactics (Newman, Moore, et al), where they reserve their vague-speak for the vague contexts, and simply tolerate their own and others higher order pattern-matching homunculi to imagine categories like complexity and agency.  And there are top-down tactics (M&V, Rosen, et al), where the rhetoriticians try to speak directly about the "can't define it but I know it when I see it" categories.  If you view these two rhetorical tactics as inductive vs generative (e.g. back-tracking), respectively, you can appreciate both.

But we have to be careful not to arbitrarily swap one vague concept for another.  Just because "interesting", "life", and "complexity" are all vague doesn't mean they're analogs.  We need Russ to clarify his question before we'll have anything useful to say about it.

[†] Including this "gem" by Kauffman: https://arxiv.org/abs/1303.5684, wherein he proceeds to treat subjects Rosen had treated way earlier, way better, and with no citation of Rosen, to boot. [sigh]  But, hey, defection can be profitable.

--
☣ glen