[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu May 25 15:04:31 EDT 2017

I just looked up "Topological Insulator" (thanks Carl) and was blown
away (once again) about things discovered/developed during my
professional career that I had not heard of before but find
relevant/fascinating to some of my work.  I wonder if the boys (and
girls?) of the Enlightenment felt the same as the scientific progress of
that era unfolded so fully inside one lifetime?

By coincidence I was just at my nephew's graduation from UofA with a BS
in Materials Science.  I met his dept. chair and another researcher who
are leading him forward to a PhD in Material Science, working in the
area of quantum phononics.  The project(s) were fascinating.

They are already building standing acoustic waves with quantum
properties and expect to be doing quantum computing with them soon...

None of this is unanticipated, the only thing I have a hard time
accepting is that it is happening (it would seem) in my lifetime.

My PhD Molecular Biologist daughter was arguing against targeted gene
splicing as a practicality until CRISPR happened and now, just a couple
of years later, it is key to her own work!  The social implications
would seem to be staggering?

I don't believe in a Kurzweilian style singularity exactly, but the
exponential growth (by what measure?) of tech seems to be happening
quite clearly...  the impact on everyday life, of course is another matter.

Technological optimists (like Marcus?) probably only see the upside of
this, while neo-retro-luddites (like myself) have a hard time staying
away from the grey-goo/dystopian futures...    I am also somewhat of a
fatalist and expect that it will all happen one way or another with or
without me fretting.   A couple of years ago, you may have heard me
asking Schlitz about living in Ecuador as I was looking at withdrawing
to the hills of Panama, not exactly for these reasons but with that in
mind.   The folks with a beachhead there turned out to be nuttier than
fruitcakes (why would that not surpise us) so it wasn't a real option
anyway.

Enough wandering I suppose...

Carry on!
  - Steve