[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sun May 28 11:58:12 EDT 2017

Stephen writes:
“If I need to use Russ's criteria, I can't think of a non-biological example. To me it's like asking for a non-biological example of a living system.”
It seems to me a question is how does modularity happen.  How can nature combine components in networks to make something more complex?   Is that all that we mean by biology, or do we mean carbon-based life?
Perhaps there are completely foreign ways this kind of order could form in different environments?
http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-might-have-finally-figured-out-where-the-rarest-crystals-on-earth-formed
Perhaps deep within planets like Jupiter there could be magnetic forms of life that are constantly evolving?   A brain literally the size of a planet?
Marcus