[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Sun May 28 12:39:12 EDT 2017

> So, what constitutes a system is arbitrary?  In the mind of the beholder?
>

> I remember when we used to argue about this at The Complex.
>

> I always wanted to argue that a system is in some sense “self-bounding”.
> It consists of a group of entities that are interacting more intimately
> with one another than they are with entities outside the system.

In the context of complex systems research, a *system* is an abstraction of a
set of connected components and its boundary. The system's boundary can be
defined as open, closed or isolated to flows of quantities of energy, mass,
information, symbols etc. Defining information is a different thread ;-)

A *model* is the mathematical/computational formalization of the system.

*Is what constitutes a system arbitrary?*
George Box famously said "all models are wrong, but some are useful
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_models_are_wrong>". Given that models
are formalizations of systems and if arbitrary means: "based on random
choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.", I would say
researchers use reason and systemic thought to develop "useful" system
descriptions. So, system descriptions are not arbitrary. They are designed
to be useful for the question being asked. No system description nor model
can answer all questions - they are specifically designed for a problem at
hand.

Relatedly, a *simulation,* in the way we use it, is a single instance of a
model run based on initializing  a model's parameters computing next states
to observe its behavior/dynamics.

The *phase space* is the behavior of the model over all possible input
states.