[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Mon May 29 14:45:12 EDT 2017

SS,

I was going to let this go, but now see that I can’:

.  I did hear Nick ask if a system could (somehow?) choose it's own boundaries and dismissed it as (yet another) distraction

I hate anthropomorphism in all its forms, so despite the plain meaning of these words, I did not mean this anthropomorphically.

My “high bit” as Owen used to say, is distinguishing between the thing we are explaining and the thing we are explaining it WITH.  If I have anything to contirubute to this conversation it is to make you all aware that you keep sliding back and forth between those two things. So when I asked SG if a system “get’s a voice” in whether it is a system or not, I was only asking if there was a “thing-with-properties” out there that we are curious about before we begin bring to bear all the heavy weaponry of complexity talk.  My candidate for the “thing that excites our curiosity” is multilevel systems, whether or not they involve organisms.  I promise I have NO INTENTION of asking a huriicane if it is a system, and I wouldn’t trust the answer if I got one.

Also, I don’t one understands what philosophy can do for science if you call it sophistry.  If you were happily painting the floor of a room and I pointed out that you had neglected to leave yourself a way out of the room, you wouldn’t call that sophistry, no matter how well the painting was going at the moment or how beautiful the painted floor looked.  That’s the role of philosophy in science.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson