[FRIAM] Downward causation

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 22 23:42:41 EST 2017

Hi, Eric,

Well, I would like to say that my personal version of the Pragmatic Maxim:

Consider what possible experimental effects the invocation of your conception has; those effects are the entire meaning of your conception.

… means that the causality makes reference to experiments or to nothing whatsoever.   The problem is, of course, that strictly speaking that means we cannot apply causality to past events, including evolutionary ones.  That would seem to be overkill.   There is, of course, the comparative method and, of course, “thought experiments.”   Nothing in the maxim, I suppose, requires me to actually perform the experiment; only to conceptualize it.  Seems like mushy ground.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/