[FRIAM] Downward causation

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 23:55:05 EST 2017

Nick,

Whenever I say this it doesn't seem to register.  Pearl, Glymour, Spirtes,
et al have put statistical causal reasoning on a firm foundation.  This
involves learning causal models from observational rather that experimental
data, including data from the past.  Also remember the distinction between
"actual" causation (hitting this jar with a hammer causes it to break) and
statistical causation (smoking causes cancer).

There is an extensive and growing literature on these topics.

Frank

Frank Wimberly
Phone (505) 670-9918