[FRIAM] Doxastic logic - Wikipedia

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 21 23:27:56 EDT 2017

Glen,

See Larding below?

Nicholas S. Thompson

-----Original Message-----
From: Friam [mailto:friam-bounces at redfish.com] On Behalf Of g??? ?
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 8:01 PM
To: FriAM <friam at redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Doxastic logic - Wikipedia

On 09/21/2017 04:50 PM, Nick Thompson wrote:

> Well, answering in the sophistic manner, because logically speaking, acting tentatively affirms tentativeness.

You seem to forget that there are many types of logic, paraconsistent, defeasible, higher order, etc

[NST==> Is there any logic in which, “Let X be Y; therefore X is Y” is not entailed.  If a belief is defined as that upon which one is prepared to act, is there any logic in which acting does not imply belief?  <==nst]

> Is it possible (can you give me an example) of a contradictory ACTION.

Yes, of course.  E.g. Since most of my actions involve very tight feedback loops, something like tossing a ball to a friend can be launched and then I can make attempts to abort it if, say, I notice the friend has looked away.

[NST==>Wouldn’t the best way to analyze this be as a series of “micro” beliefs?  <==nst]

 Since I would claim that all actions are actually temporally extended processes rather than quantum events, I would claim that MOST actions involve branches and many branches can be reached from other branches.  So, not only are they branched, but many of the branches don't "contradict" the other branches.

[NST==>I think a body can enact conflicting beliefs at the same time, but that is because I am comfortable with the idea that that the same body can simultaneously act on two different belief systems.  CF Freud, slips of the tongue, hysteria, etc.  Frank will correct me.

Best, Nick <==nst]

--

☣ gⅼеɳ

FRIAM-COMIC  <http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/> http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/ by Dr. Strangelove