[FRIAM] looking for a word

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Aug 17 16:59:27 EDT 2018

I immediately think of Geoffrey West’s work.  (Although that doesn’t immediately provide a catchy phrase.)

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/276/5309/122

From: Friam <friam-bounces at redfish.com> on behalf of Robert Wall <wallrobert7 at gmail.com>
Date: Friday, August 17, 2018 at 1:32 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam at redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] looking for a word

Here's a paper <https://arxiv.org/pdf/1311.3087.pdf>  (2010) that describes a hub attraction dynamical growth model (HADGM) that exhibits fractal and probabilistic behavior for forming nodes in a complex network.

But you are looking for a descriptive word or phrase. Perhaps, "dynamic growth models with fractally-associative (or nonassociative) hubs."  It seems to have something to do with the behavior of forming nodes (connections); so that seems to be the focus for your description. Not sure, but would agree that fractile behavior seems at the root of what you are trying to describe: some "hubbing" and "hubbing-resistance," so to speak.

I like the amber Belgian beers ... 😋

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 12:52 PM uǝlƃ ☣ <gepropella at gmail.com<mailto:gepropella at gmail.com>> wrote:
Excellent!  I suppose the things I'm talking about would exhibit something like a persistent homology.  Of course, I'm looking for a word to describe a subset of those (the particular way something like a capillary bed branches out from the large blood vessels).  So, it would have to be a type of persistent homology.

But the concept of "a filtration" is also evocative, both in its math and biological/physical meanings.  Much of what the tissue samplers are doing is counting/indexing objects and branches in an attempt to identify weirdness.

--
☣ uǝlƃ