[FRIAM] looking for a word

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 19:01:43 EDT 2018

"Peneplain" is a very cool word that you just taught me.  But I think that's too well-mixed.  In terms of the liver, the (3D) peneplain might be simply the central vein that flows out after all the filtering is done.  I want to indicate the region "just prior" to the peneplain ... or just after the the portal vein, where blood flows in.

The reason for avoiding concepts of growth/evolution is because we (*I*, my colleagues might not approve of my asking a mailing list of random nerds) need to contrast one "fluvial network" with another.  And, especially in the case of disease, we'll need to indicate a "healthy state", which I suspect involves a nice space-filling structure, versus an unhealthy state, which shows too much flow, not enough filtering.

The idea is that the different morphology between a healthy and unhealthy state can hint at various treatments.  Growth, repair, etc. will be part and parcel of any such treatment.  But first, it would be nice to be able to refer to the different "homology" exhibited by the 2 different states.  And "yes", the reason "persistent homology" is attractive is because the same property should apply when considering an acinus, as well as a lobule, as well as a whole liver.  To boot, it would be nice if such a property would be applicable to structures like the pancreas as well as the liver.

--
☣ uǝlƃ