[FRIAM] looking for a word

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Aug 18 11:28:17 EDT 2018

Roger -

Interesting to introduce Dendrometry (tree growth) as _yet another_
metaphorical target domain beyond the liquid flow, erosion/sedimentation
of rivers.

Is there something in tree (plants in general?) growth that is
specifically apt for this purpose?  Or were you perhaps using
Dendrometr(i)y in a more creative sense?  Referencing neural
growth/function/topology?  Dendodendritic and Axodendritic synapses
might be relevant?

Trees represent a more "intentional" transport system it would seem than
riverine systems, though if one includes the organic aspects such as the
bosque/etc. maybe not.

It doesn't seem (too?) unreasonable to imagine that the Liver (a
broad-purpose chemical synthesis factory?) has some
useful/interesting/relevant analogs in trees/plants?   While a tree is
nominally 3 dimensional, it is also nearly 1-dimensional in the sense
that the cross-section of the trunk(s), branches, twigs, twiglets, etc
are very similar and within them, they are radially symmetric.

I am wondering if "braided" branch/root systems like Banyan Vines might
offer some insight?

This is all probably too far afield for Glen's original question but I
can't help but wander a bit on this one?

- Steve