[FRIAM] looking for a word

Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Tue Aug 21 11:22:20 EDT 2018

Glen,

I haven’t followed this thread closely enough to have a good sense of what you are after, so apologies if this is off point.

When you first asked, and hadn’t talked yet about specifically tree-like networks, I was thinking that the converging end could borrow the term “coalescent” from population genetics.  I don’t think the geneticists have a corresponding word for the final-time data that it is the purpose of the coalescent to assign a history to, but I guess the counterpart would be the “divergent”.  That would have been a strange notion for a merely-concentrated part of a network that wasn’t both treelike and directed in some sense, so I stayed quiet.  But it seems treelike networks with sources and destinations are still in the conversation.

Of course this has the problem that both words are natively adjectives, themselves derived from transitive verbs, which have now been repurposed as nouns in technical fields.  But maybe in linguistic typology that isn’t so uncommon (Bill Croft has told me this, but I don’t have a particularly good reference.  Perhaps
http://www.unm.edu/~wcroft/WACabst.html
or his book(s?))

Best,
Eric