[FRIAM] looking for a word

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:33:49 EDT 2018

Coalescence is a very nice sidetrack, actually.  It, again, takes me back to the notion of *a* filtration, in particular ascending and descending filtrations.  A brief hunt for a good antonym of "coalesce" lands me on "fractionated".  I like that better than the temporal implications (evoked in *me* even if nobody else) of divergent.  The volume of space is *rationed* amongst the branches sprouted from a tree trunk, much like the volume of tissue is divied up amongst the sinusoids sprouted from the portal vein in the liver.  And I can say the same thing about the other side.  The tissue is fractioned/rationed/divied up amongst the sinusoids that lead into the liver's output.

Such a fractionated (fractioned? rationed? "binned"?) region can be talked about independent of the direction of flow.

And this idea of divying up the space carries with it some sort of agency, functionality, or purpose beyond the more objective terms like plexus or plenum, which could be engineered or natural.  Divied up how? Why? What is being optimized by tree branching, basin canalization, dendritic spreading, etc?

--
☣ uǝlƃ