[FRIAM] virtualized public IPs

Russell Standish lists at hpcoders.com.au
Wed Aug 22 21:44:03 EDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 11:44:14AM +0200, Stephen Guerin wrote:
> Markus,
>
> While not exactly virtualized IP, can you accomplish what you need via a
> dynamic DNS solution, ngrok.com or localtunnel.me and then manage routing on
> your internal network?

dynamic DNS is not really important - ISTM that your solution is to
move up the protocol stack. Markus's original problem was that the
restrictive nature of his client network was such that he couldn't
distinguish between requests at layer 3 (TCP). You're right that
layering the requests on a layer 4 protocol like http allows you to
distinguish requests by inserting the distinguishing label in a field
in http request header - eg the Host field, which can contain a domain
name and a port.

ISTM, it is not necessary for the domain inserted into the Host field
to be resolvable - if it is, then just distinguish on the port part -
so dynamic DNS is not necessary.

Cheers

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au