[FRIAM] the Analemma

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Mon Dec 10 10:28:29 EST 2018

If the earth did not rotate with respect to the stars, each day would be
a year long. The rotation of the earth adds (or subtracts, I’m too
lazy now to figure out which) lots more days. The siderial day (the time
of one rotation wrt the stars) is a few minutes different from the solar
day (the time of one rotation wrt to the sun).

The second point is that the speed of that year-long day varies over the
year. The earth’s orbit is elliptical, so its distance to the sun
varies which means its speed varies (Kepler’s law: the earth sweeps
equal areas in equal times). The variance between the earth’s actual
orbital angular velocity and its average orbital angular velocity
accounts for the variations you cite.

These are not two standards of time measurement, but rather two
different things you can measure with time. The time zones have nothing
to do with it except to determine the 3 days the sun is at the zenith at
noon. (and in fact, if you measure accurately, the probability that the
sun will ever be at the zenith exactly at noon at any given spot on
earth is zero; usually it will happen just before noon on one day and
just after noon on the next, or vice-versa).

--Barry