[FRIAM] 2019 - The end of Trumpism

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Dec 26 12:23:28 EST 2018

Jochen -

A little less, tongue-in-cheek:

Thanks for the positive thoughts... and I think you can add to your list
of "isms" we need to understand 'more better' to avoid giving them more
power over us are other abstractions like "democracy" and
"capitalism".    I grew up worshiping the latter two unquestioningly and
climbing the ladders they offered as fast as I could, even though I am
pretty sure I "heard" the muffled cries of those whose heads I was
stepping on to "climb" and the "feel" of their fingers under my feet as
they tried to climb the very same rungs I was clambering up.

_Democracy_ was summarized well for me  (it is only a point-indicator,
but a significant one) as "Democracy is the tyranny of the majority over
the minority".   It became most poignant to me in 2000 when the
Republican's used their outsized lung-capacity to "blow the flipped coin
of a hung-election over" and then claimed a "mandate".   The Donald and
the very same Republican Machine did it again (if differently in detail)
in 2016, shouting MANDATE! even louder.   Had the Dems been able to blow
the coin over the other way in 2000 or if they had been better at
gerrymandering and social engineering in 2016 (I claim they were good
enough at the latter to put Hillary in front of Bernie for the
"finals"), THEY would have claimed a mandate, although probably with
less overt belligerence, but perhaps to the same effect... a significant
tyranny of a pseudo-majority over a pseudo-minority.

_Capitalism_ isn't entirely synonymous with _Consumerism_ but they seem
very deeply entwined... and the most obvious hazard of Capitalism is the
truism that we love to hate of "the rich get richer" (and in complement,
"poor get poorer").  In a time when Bush-II could declare in the wake of
9/11 "just go out and buy something!" (backed up by a small tax-rebate
to get the spending pump primed?) as a presumed remedy to keep the
Terrorist's attack on Wall Street from rippling into the
consumer-confidence (extravagance?) economy, and now with Trump
imagining that tearing down any regulatory feedback (legal and social)
on our exploitative economy is the same as "creating wealth" and that
hold interest rates near zero (effectively subsidizing big-Capital) is
the same as having "healthy growth".    It might also be noted that we
don't have a phrase for "healthy steady-state" or "healthy pull-back".
We only know how to stimulate growth/expansion/usery/exploitation every
way we can until the resulting bubble collapses under it's own
weight/thinness.

A decade or two ago *I* might have responded to this kind of talk with a
confrontational "so you would rather have totalitarian/fascism???!!!!"
without thinking far enough to realize that a truly healthy way of being
(locally and globally) might be something fundamentally different than
what we've discovered in our myriad experiments in economics and
politics. At the same time, paradoxically, while *fundamentally*
different, that difference may be in subtle qualities, not in
quantity.    It might not require us to deny the fact of human (animal
appetites) for material comforts and social relevance... and in fact, it
may depend on doing exactly that without extreme over-indulgences in
either.    The Trump family is a pretty good example of how we fetishize
extreme indulgences in both material wealth and social significance.

May 2019 unfold as it will!  I for one, feel lucky to be living in these
"interesting times", no matter how "inconvenient" many of the details
seem to be for me, mine, and those much less fortunate than "we".

  - Steve