[FRIAM] Pondering the slang Adulting

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Wed Dec 26 13:06:07 EST 2018

I'm catching up on old email. Trolling is lovely although a horrid but
sometimes worthy pursuit.

I like this:

troll1
/trōl/
*noun*
noun: *troll*; plural noun: *trolls*

   1. a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a
   giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance.
   synonyms: goblin, hobgoblin, gnome, halfling, demon, monster, bugaboo,
   ogre
   "the storybook trolls who live under the bridge"

Origin
[image: image.png]
early 17th century: from Old Norse and Swedish *troll*, Danish *trold* .
The first English use is from Shetland; the term was adopted more widely
into English in the mid 19th century.
troll2
/trōl/
*noun*
noun: *troll*; plural noun: *trolls*

   1. 1.
   a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post.
   - INFORMAL
      a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting.
      2. 2.
   a line or bait used in trolling for fish.

*verb*
verb: *troll*; 3rd person present: *trolls*; past tense: *trolled*; past
participle: *trolled*; gerund or present participle: *trolling*

   1. 1.
   INFORMAL
   make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of
   upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
   "if people are obviously trolling then I'll delete your posts and do my
   best to ban you"
   2. 2.
   fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat.
   "we *trolled for* mackerel"
   - carefully and systematically search an area for something.
      "a group of companies trolling for partnership opportunities"
      3. 3.
   sing (something) in a happy and carefree way.
   "troll the ancient Yuletide carol"
   4. 4.
   BRITISH
   walk; stroll.
   "we all trolled into town"

Origin
late Middle English (in the sense ‘stroll, roll’): origin uncertain;
compare with Old French *troller* ‘wander here and there (in search of
game)’ and Middle High German *trollen* ‘stroll.’