[FRIAM] Pondering weird english words

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Mon Dec 31 10:29:39 EST 2018

Much more than you asked for…

“lax” is “loose’, as in morals and bowels.

“Re-“ is more complicated. From the Oxford English dictionary:

“re-, prefix

of Latin origin, with the general sense of ‘back’ or ‘again’,
occurring in a large number of words directly or indirectly adopted from
Latin, or of later Romanic origin, and on the model of these freely
employed in English as a prefix to verbs, and to substantives or
adjectives derived from these.
   In earlier Latin re- was used before consonants, and red- before
vowels or h-, as in redīre, redimĕre, redhibēre (rarely in other
cases, as in red-dĕre). The latter form appears in Eng. only in a few
words which are ultimately of Latin origin, as redeem, redemption,
redintegrate. In later Latin the form with d was no longer in use, and
re- was employed before vowels as well as consonants, as in
reædificāre, reagĕre, reexpectāre, reillūmināre, etc.
In a few words adopted from French the prefix has so coalesced with the
main part of the word that its real nature is obscured. In some cases
this is due to the combination of re- with another prefix, as ad- (Fr.
a-) or in- (Fr. en-). For examples of these types, see ransom, rally,
rampart.

2.2 The original sense of re- in Latin is that of ‘back’ or
‘backwards’, but in the large number of words formed by its use, the
prefix acquires various shades of meaning, of which the following are
the most clearly marked. a.2.a ‘Back from a point reached’, ‘back
to or towards the starting-point’, as in recēdĕre to draw back,
recurrĕre to run back, redūcĕre to lead back, referre to carry back,
refugĕre to flee back, remittĕre to send back, respicĕre to look
back, retrahĕre to pull back, revocāre to call back. Sometimes the
sense of ‘backwards’ is also implied, as in resilīre to spring back
or backwards. The return of light and sound is expressed in such verbs
as relūcēre and renīdēre to shine or flash back, reboāre to bellow
back, resonāre to echo, resound. In many cases the idea of force is
present, as in reflectĕre to bend back, repellĕre to drive back,
reprimĕre to force back, rescindĕre to cut back; hence arises the
sense of resistance, as in reluctārī to struggle against, repugnāre
to fight against, reclāmāre to cry out against, recūsāre to refuse.
Occasionally the sense passes into that of ‘away’, as in removēre
to move back or away, revellĕre to pull away or off. b.2.b ‘Back to
the original place or position’, as in recondĕre, repōnĕre,
restituĕre, etc. to put back, replace; freq. implying ‘back to one's
hands or possession’, as in recipĕre to take back, redimĕre to buy
back, rependĕre to pay back, resūmĕre to take back. c.2.c
‘Again’, ‘anew’, originally in cases implying restoration to a
previous state or condition, and frequently occurring as a secondary
sense in verbs of the two classes already mentioned; further examples
are recreāre to create again, reficĕre to make again, reformāre to
form again, renovāre to make new again, refrīgēscĕre to grow cold
again, revirēscĕre to grow green again. This naturally passes into
cases where the action itself is done a second time, as recoquĕre to
cook or bake again, refricāre to rub again, regenerāre to produce
again, retractāre to handle again, etc. This class of words is largely
augmented in later Latin, as reædificāre to build again, rebaptizāre
to baptize again, etc. Many of these later compounds have been adopted
in English, and have chiefly supplied the models for the new formations
illustrated in §5. d.2.d In some cases re- has the same force as Eng.
un-, implying an undoing of some previous action, as in recingĕre to
ungird, reclūdĕre to unclose, to open, refīgĕre to unfix, resignāre
to unseal, revēlāre to unveil. More rarely it expresses direct
negation, as in reprobāre to disapprove of. e.2.e ‘Back in a
place’, i.e. ‘from going forward’, with verbs of keeping or
holding, as retinēre to hold back, religāre to tie back or up,
refrēnāre to rein back, reprehendĕre to (seize and) keep back; or
‘without going on or forward’ with verbs of rest, as remanēre,
residēre, restāre to stay or stop behind, requiēscĕre to stay quiet,
etc. Other shades of this sense appear in relinquĕre to leave behind,
reservāre to keep back, store up.
   Even in Latin the precise sense of re- is not always clear, and in
many words the development of secondary meanings tends greatly to
obscure its original force. This loss of distinct meaning is naturally
increased in English, when the word has been adopted in a sense more or
less remote from the strict etymological significance of the two
elements which compose it. In many cases the simple word to which the
prefix is attached is wanting in English; in others a change of sound or
shifting of stress frequently assists in disguising its original sense.
In the Romance languages, as in later Latin, extensive use was made of
re- as a prefix in verbs and verbal derivatives, and some of the words
thus formed are among the earliest which were adopted in English, the
immediate source being OF. To these and later adoptions from French
belong many of the commonest words beginning with re-, as rebate,
rebound, rebuke, rebut, recoil, redress, refresh, regain, regard,
regret, remark, etc.

3.3 Words formed with the prefix re- first make their appearance in
English about the year 1200. In the Ancren Riwle, the first text in
which such forms are prominent, there occur recluse, recoil, record,
relief, religion, religious, and remission. Towards the end of the
century Robert of Gloucester uses rebel, receit, release, relic, relief,
remue, repent, restore, revest. In the 14th c. the stock is largely
increased, especially in the writings of Langland, Chaucer, Wyclif, and
Trevisa, and by the year 1400 the number in common literary use is very
considerable. During the 15th c. the additions are of less importance,
but about the middle of the 16th an extensive adoption of Latin forms or
types begins; the French element at this time is small in comparison,
though it includes some important words. Towards the end of the 16th c.
re- begins to rank as an ordinary English prefix, chiefly employed with
words of Latin origin, but also freely prefixed to native verbs, a
practice rare before this period, though Wyclif, Trevisa, and others
have renew (after L. renovāre). Such formations, however, are common in
Elizabethan writers: Shakespeare has recall, regreet (frequent), relive,
requicken, resend, respeak, restem, retell (thrice), and reword, and
many others occur in contemporary literature, as rebuild, recast,
refind, reflow, regather, etc. Since 1600 the use of the prefix has been
very extensive, though the number of individual formations appears to
have been smaller in the 18th century than in the 17th and 19th.
   The rapidly increasing use of re- in the early part of the 17th c.
is strongly marked in the dictionaries of Florio and Cotgrave, both of
whom freely invent forms with this prefix to render Italian or French
words which begin with it. Many of these reappear at a later date, and
most of them might be formed again at any time: the following may be
quoted as specimens of those which have obtained little or no currency
in later writers.“

--Barry