[FRIAM] merging with the mob

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Thu Jan 25 13:19:23 EST 2018

Another distinction I would make, not directly in response to any recent remarks in this thread, is the distinction between people (or groups of people) and ideas.   True, a group can be built around some ideas, and that group can have high cohesion or a thick membrane, but ideas can exist without a group having  those properties.

One can study sociology without actually being concerned with in the life story of every person.    What matters are the generative properties of life --  how predispositions and experiences lead to different kinds of outcomes on average.   Sure, there will be some probability that a child with a good upbringing will fall in with a bad crowd and become a chronic user of drugs, or that a young adult will get cancer and create catastrophic consequences for her family, or that for no good reason an imbecile becomes president.   There's a non-zero variance in real-world distributions.

To reject tribalism in the way I mean is to learn about the common properties of social systems, and to try to make models more predictive and general.    To do this does not imply having a  Dunbar number > 7 billion.  It helps if a lot of people look at a lot of life stories, but that doesn't imply that those doing the research need to have a social circle of a particular diameter.

Another simple metaphor would be between a (deterministic) pseudo-random number generator having a functional form and a known seed versus the output of that generator.   The amount of information in the former is relatively compact (a few pages of text).   However, compressing all of that detail with a popular compression program would not discover that functional form.  Knowing the life stories of 7 billion people would be like the output.

Marcus