[FRIAM] Science question...re: cold neck scarfs

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jul 19 20:08:10 EDT 2018

Gil -

There is always a lot of blood flow between the heart and the brain
which passes through the neck, fairly close to the skin.   Among the
many things blood does, is act as a working fluid to try to help
thermoregulate the body...   passing hot blood near the surface of the
skin where evaporation of sweat is cooling the skin...  The neck would
be an obvious place to apply extra external cooling efficiently.

As with a cool cloth on the head, I think there is a perception issue
involved, meaning that when you are overheated, cooling the region of
your body you associate with "self", likely *feels* better than say,
cooling your feet or your glutes...  provides quicker apparent relief.

I'm aware of the type of fabric you speak of, but have never used or
inspected any.  I'm assuming it somehow manages to *both* hold enough
water to not evaporate away immediately but at the same time, have
enough surface area (microstructure) to allow for a lot of
transpiration.   Why "snapping" it abruptly works to (re)improve it's
cooling potential isn't as obvious to me, I'm betting it has been
written up many times in everything from the popular press to academic
journals in material science... time to practice more Google-Fu?

- Steve