[FRIAM] This is how the Japanese multiply. (Math, not biology)

barry.mackichan at mackichan.com barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Sat Nov 3 20:34:35 EDT 2018

This way of multiplying is isomorphic to what I learned in third grade. Multiply these numbers as you were taught. If your numbers have n and m digits, below the line in the multiplication there will be n m-digit numbers. (Ignoring carries for the sake of exposition), each of those n by m digits corresponds to a count of one of the small grids in the Japanese method. Hence the isomorphism.

Carries seem to b handled the same way in both methods.

— Barry