[FRIAM] This is how the Japanese multiply. (Math, not biology)

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 4 00:06:16 EDT 2018

Yeah.  I am not on my “Real” kick today.  “real” is good enough for me.  “real” in the sense of honorable, respectable, normative, proper, honest, genuine, true to itself, etc.  But on your definition, applied math wouldn’t be “real”, right?  CS wouldn’t be real math, either.  To me, math is “just” the development or use of formal systems to advance knowledge.  On that understanding, the use of any kind of formal system to model a natural system is “real math.”  I take it you would disagree.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/