[FRIAM] Pondering the slang Adulting

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 15 12:44:13 EST 2018

Nick,
there was a troll before there was acting like a troll (i.e. trolling), and the troll was a bridge lurker.  Read, sometime, Vernor Vinge's SciFi book True Names for insight into how magical/mythical metaphors dominated the early days of computing/programming when master developers were wizards.

Adulting is  byproduct of a culture and an economic class where social roles (e.g. child, adult, elder) are poorly and arbitrarily  defined (e.g. 18 is 'adult' when you need cannon fodder in Vietnam, but 21 to indulge in socially acceptable induction of an altered state of consciousness); and when there are minimal, if any, ritualistic rites of passage marking transitions from role to role. I include economic class as a climate for silliness like "adulting" because 'adult' behavior is imposed and the child has no option and cannot revert.

Nice pun re "childing" but unless you are of the community that eschews sex except for procreative purposes; consensual sex will, most of the time, be adulting regardless of the age of the participants.

davew