[FRIAM] Advice on configuring computers

Brent Auble brent at auble.net
Wed Oct 10 14:00:15 EDT 2018

Depending on the size of the computer, with smaller ones being less likely to allow it, most of them will be able to have two hard drives.  A frequent configuration now is to have a primary drive that Windows is installed on, which is an SSD, and a secondary larger non-SSD drive. Annoyingly (and driven by cost), the primary SSD drive tends to be relatively small (128-256 GB).  My current personal laptop is running Windows 10 and has a ~240 GB primary SSD and a 512 GB non-SSD secondary drive.  I'm a digital packrat, and so far that has been sufficient disk space.  However, I would feel more comfortable having a larger primary SSD drive -- at least 480 GB (not sure why they don't map to the powers of two), although 1 TB  -- and a larger secondary drive (also 1 to 2 TB).  Unfortunately, that sort of configuration will almost certainly exceed a $1K price point.

The SD card is a reasonable option for adding additional storage since most laptops do have a built-in SD card reader, although I'd confirm that it can handle a 400 GB card since that's bigger than the commonly available ones and the drivers may not have been updated to handle it (the 256 GB should be fine though since that size has been readily available for at least the past year or two).  The only caution I'd have on that is to probably not install software to it (same with an external drive).
An external SSD drive connected via USB3 (preferably) can be a relatively inexpensive way to store additional data, but it definitely has the issue of being an external contraption that has to be remembered if you're using it for anything other than backup.
My recommendation, if your budget can handle it, is to bite the >$1K bullet and get a laptop with a 480+ GB primary SSD and a secondary 1+ TB internal drive (SSD or non).  It's a lot easier to handle for daily use and Carbonite should be able to back up both drives to the cloud, and you can continue to use your existing 1 TB drive as another backup device (or upgrade to a larger drive so it can potentially handle everything you could store on the laptop).
Brent