[FRIAM] On old question

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 24 17:58:38 EDT 2018

Yeah, Steve.  Right.  I just got stuck on that very diagram.  Wrong, but in fascinating ways.  First of all, the a priori distinction between the real and the modeling world is indefensible.  If we are honest without selves, we are experience monists.  All we have is our experience, and every experience is a model.  So every experience is a model of another model.  Furthermore, since experience is variable – there’s your experience, and my experience, and yesterday’s experience and tomorrow’s experience, etc., blah, blah – universal experience is something that we as scientists aspire to but can never quite achieve, any more than the rabbit can catch the tortoise.  Yet, it is the only reality we have!

So, I prefer to think of models as metaphors.  Gone is the distinction between models and reality (what do we know reality, for crissake!) to be replaced by experiences and other, more familiar experiences that serve as models.  We can talk about formal and informal metaphors and mathematics is an EXTREMELY formalized metaphor, I grant you.  But it is still a metaphor, a distillation of experience.

But I am getting ahead of myself here.  Let’s see where the A. goes with this.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/