[FRIAM] On old question

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 18:05:38 EDT 2018

On 10/24/18 2:58 PM, Nick Thompson wrote:
> First of all, the a priori distinction between the real and the modeling world is indefensible.

As a person who *simulates* the real world for money, that's just plain offensive! 8^)  Were I to go into, say, NASA or somewhere and claim that my simulations are *indistinguishable* from the real world, I'd be unable to make a living.  So, the distinction is not only defensible, but necessary.  In fact, I'd argue the opposite.  It's parsimonious to *assume* the distinction and the burden of proof is on the simulant to show that a simulacrum is similar enough to pass as reality.

--
☣ uǝlƃ