[FRIAM] On old question

Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri Oct 26 04:15:00 EDT 2018

Hi Nick,

Thank you for this.  There have been many things crossing my mind in reading the exchanges on the thread, but I have been run ragged on a trip and am behind on things due, so I gave up intenting to engage.

There was one thing in one of the very earliest posts that seemed relevant to topics raised.  I forget who exactly related the definition (by Rosen) of function as defined in terms of the difference in a system’s structure or dynamics (or something) with vs. without a particular component.

This seems to me like a general approach to a definition that could be formalized in many ways depending on what “laws of the universe” your system obeys, and what you want to highlight.  In the world of game theory (which allows one to strip out many specifications and work with only a few distinctions), something that seems to me like one such formalization is the Shapley value in the context of coalitional-form solution concepts (also termed “cooperative game theory”, but I avoid that term because people who don’t work in the area often think “cooperative” means something different than this usage intends):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapley_value
Martin Shubik used to prefer to call this just “the Value”, since he and Shapley were working together at the time, and the Value was the basis for a measure of an agent’s power in a system known as the Shapley-Shubik power index:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapley%E2%80%93Shubik_power_index

I don’t know if this is interesting or makes a contribution to the discussion you want to pursue, but in case so….

The concepts you mention also make sense together to me, though I probably think of Serendipity in its common-language sense and do not know how it is used as a term of art, Spandrel I am fairly familiar with as established by the Gould paper, and Scaffolding is again a term I could see using in many ways.  The way you used it in your description of Origin of Life is quite close to one usage that I also like.

I know this doesn’t add anything to what you have already said.  I will continue to follow, and if I think I can say anything small and specific, will try.

Best,

Eric