[FRIAM] On old question

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 14:03:21 EDT 2018

I think you have the "materialist but not mechanist" gist right.  But it's worth a warning that Rosen's definition of mechanism isn't what most people mean by that word.  And it's his hijacking of the word into jargon that caused so many, for so long, to accuse him of vitalism.  Most people include all 4 causes in and around their use of "mechanism".  Dictionaries even list the arrangements and how the parts fit together as part of the mechanism. (Side plug: My colleagues have published a paper calling for a classification of "mechanistic models", if anyone's interested: https://arxiv.org/abs/1801.04909)

What Rosen's done is jargonalize "mechanism" to mean only the most ... deductive, for a lack of a better word ... causal flow, chopping out the rest of what normal people include.  To his credit, the important part of what he ablated comes down to impredicative definitions -- where the construction/counting of one component is defined in terms of another component.  Constructively, such loopy definitions *can* result in deadlock.  But classically, they're not really a problem at all.  Higher order and non-classical logics are well-studied and not as pathological as Rosen seems to think.  So he seems to have attributed more power to this criticism of formal systems than is warranted.  And given that it's a fundamental part of his framework, it calls the entire thing into question.

Whatever, though.  Reframing these questions in the way he did is useful because it targets an audience that doesn't  spend much time on them.  But be skeptical of his hype.  Formal systems aren't as limited as he claims.  And we had these tools, for the most part, while Rosen was writing.  My *hack* opinion is that the problem, as always, was one part a) the lack of cross-domain pollination and the other part b) Rosen's belief that he was the only one having these thoughts.  It's kindasorta ironic that he latched onto category theory, which was/is an attempt to unify disparate bodies of math.

And FWIW, your "scaffolding" sounds a lot like "bootstrapping" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping_(compilers)> to me.

--
☣ uǝlƃ