[FRIAM] On old question

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Oct 26 15:24:39 EDT 2018

Call me old-fashioned.   I don't think it means anything to claim understanding of a system unless one can take it apart and put it back together; it is what design requires.  There are a lot of systems one can’t understand at that level, either because they don’t yield to reduction or because one is either not allowed or equipped to take a wrench to them.   With those systems, one can only play prediction games and ideas about function are just stories people tell themselves to keep from going mad!