[FRIAM] Formalizing the concept of design

∄ uǝʃƃ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:38:44 EDT 2018

FWIW, "Life Itself" is inadequate for me to read Rosen with any sympathy.  I would also recommend a copy of Anticipatory Systems.  E.g. o, Rosen seems to cite [†] this from von Neumann [‡]:

>> All these are very crude steps in the direction of a systematic theory of automata.  They represent, in addition, only one particular direction.  This is, as I indicated before, the direction towards forming a rigorous concept of what constitutes "complication."  They illustrate that "complication" on its lower levels is probably degenerative, that is, that every automaton that can produce other automata will only be able to produce less complicated ones.  There is, however, a certain minimum level where this degenerative characteristic ceases to be universal.  At this point automata which can re produce themselves, or even construct higher entities, become possible. This fact, that complication, as well as organization, below a certain minimum level is degenerative, and beyond that level can become self - supporting and even increasing, will clearly play an important role in any future theory of the subject.

[†] Rosen, "Anticipatory Systems", pp 321-322. Pergamon Press, 1985.
[‡] von Neumann, "The General and Logical Theory of Automata", p 318.  In Taub, "Collected Works".

--
∄ uǝʃƃ