[FRIAM] do animals psychologize?

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 13 21:34:11 EDT 2018

Hi, glen,

I have written a LOT about this: three papers stand out.

The first <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/311349078_The_many_perils_of_ejective_anthropomorphism>  argues that the notion of ejective anthropomorphism -- the idea that we enter the minds of others (including other animals) through our own direct knowledge of our own minds -- is absurd, requiring four premises, all of which we know to be false.  (Please, a few people who are NOT members of RG try the link; I don’t trust research gate.  You don’t actually have to read the article.  But please let me know if RG actually delivers it to you as they promise they will, or do they put you through some sort of registration hell.)

The second <https://www2.clarku.edu/faculty/nthompson/1-websitestuff/Texts/2000-2005/perceiving_ones_own_emotions.pdf>  article argues that our emotions, being relations between our behavior and our circumstances, are inherently public events. The dog can see them, as clearly as he sees the bowl of kibble in your hands.

The third <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312031901_Intentionality_is_the_mark_of_the_vital>  article argues that the capacity to access the motivations and emotions of others reaches deep in our evolutionary history, being an essential tool in the repertoire of many predators (Wolves, lions, etc.).

Glen has already read and commented on this stuff, a kindness for which I am eternally grateful  If you are interested in this topic, I would love to hear from more of you.

By the way, FWIW, I will be back in Santa Fe, ready to meet with the Home Church Congregation, at the first meeting in October.  Have your homilies ready.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson